Finally, after a pair of gee n' tees, (my good girl limit) I made my way up front (obviously!) for the Box Elders and gosh darn it, they stole the show! Having heard mp3s of one of their recent shows, I was already familiar with the set list. Zipping through songs that will soon appear on their upcoming Goner full-length and Hozac single, the crowd was eating it up, totally energetic and fun garage punk. Yep, I really like it when bands have, you know, actual SONGS and are totally fun to watch too. Drummer Dave seemed to be doing three things at once at all times. Clayton reminded me of Steve McDonald except for the short shorts and garish silver flasher coat. Alow me to be a bit of a girl here and comment on their amazing t-shirts. Mine is mauve with a busty Nordic sea woman weilding a guitar, all done in gold glitter ink. Awesome!
After the Box Elders I sort of forgot we were all there to see BBQ. This time avec deux Montreal cronies. I have seen Mark Sultan solo many, many times but my favourite shows have been with cohort King Khan. Those two were the only band that made this introvert shake it on stage just the one time, but I digress... Mr. Sultan was either having fun with his songs, extending certain bits here and stop/starting there, or maybe they hadn't all practiced together much. Either way I, nor the crowd could care less, waddlin' around and shakin' real low ending up throughally soaked with sweat and possibly a little beer too. Well, I really hope beer was the liquid that ended up in my shoes. My only nightcap was an extra sloppy slice from next door before heading home with ringing ears.
Check out the Box Elders' blog here... http://boxelders.blogspot.com/

I have a distinct, and distinctly unpleasant, feeling that I will one day very much regret having skipped the Box Elders.
ReplyDeleteJust don't miss anymore shows, duh!
ReplyDeleteI'll go if everyone else will stay home.
ReplyDelete